Visa Requirements / Residence Permit

Printer-friendly version



All incoming students from non-EU countries need to apply for visa, prior to their arrival in Greece.

A Letter of Acceptance is required for visa, issues by the Department of European Educational Programmes and sent both by e-mail and regular post.


You should contact the nearest authorized Greek Embassy or Consulate and receive information regarding all the necessary documents, as well as the formal application procedure.

Greek Missions around the world can be found at:


The students need to go in person to the Greek Embassy or Consulate in their home country and hand in the required documents, as well as the Letter of Acceptance.


Attention: It is advised to start the visa application process as soon as possible, since the procedures sometimes require a considerable amount of time.


Residence Permit:

Once in Thessaloniki, students who are going to spend more than 3 months in Greece must apply for a Residence Permit at the Immigration Office of Thessaloniki (1, Taki Oikonomidi Street, tel: +30 2313309202/ +30 2313309207)


For the list of required documents, please consult the Immigration Office at your first visit.


Our Department will provide the students with the necessary certificates for their application.


Students from Turkey:

Our University can provide you with a document stating that you are registered for Erasmus studies and that you have a valid Health Insurance (from your country). The Immigration Office will need a document (officially translated into Greek) stating that your University provides you with an Erasmus (EU) Scholarship as well as the amount of the Scholarship. Alternatively, you could provide our office with such a document in the English Language.