Before your arrival at AUTh
All incoming students from non-EU countries need to apply for a visa, prior to their arrival in Greece.
- For your visa, you will need a Letter of Acceptance from our Department which you will get both by e-mail and by post.
- You should contact the nearest authorized Greek Embassy or Consulate and receive information regarding all the necessary documents, as well as the formal application procedure (Greek Missions around the world can be found at: http://www.mfa.gr/en/appendix/greece-bilateral-relations/a.html)
- You need to go in person to the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your home country and hand in the required documents, as well as the Letter of Acceptance.
Attention: It is advised to start the visa application process as soon as possible, since the procedures can require a considerable amount of time.
You can find more information regarding the national visas at the site of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affaires.
The cost for Visa will be paid by the participant's own resources.
Once accepted for Erasmus+ International studies at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, you need to ensure the following:
- You need to have health care insurance from your Home Country which should be issued or translated in English.
- You need to have insurance for Personal Accident and Civil Liability from your Home Country which should be issued or translated in English.
The insurance will be paid by the participant's own resources.
Once in Thessaloniki, all incoming students from non-EU countries who are going to spend more than 3 months in Greece must apply for a Residence Permit at the Immigration Office of Thessaloniki.
Our Department will provide you with the necessary documents and assistance for your residence permit application.
Upon your arrival at AUTh
1. Check-in at the Department of European Educational Programmes (Erasmus Office):
- Sign the certificate of arrival that you’ll get from the Erasmus Office
- Obtain the “Erasmus ID Card” (necessary for the Secretariat of the AUTh School, the University’s Student Club - Restaurant and an AUTh e-mail account)
- Get instructions regarding the residence permit that you’ll need to issue
2. Enroll at the Secretariat of the School:
- Submit a copy of the Learning Agreement and a copy of any changes to your Learning Agreement
- Give them your Greek mobile phone number as soon as you get one
- Get instructions on how to apply on-line for the Academic ID Card (“passo”), which gives access to university libraries, sports facilities and entitles students to discount rates on public transportation.
Regarding the AUTh e-mail account:
After successful registration at the Secretariat of your AUTh School, you will receive an SMS on your mobile phone indicating two codes (APM & OTP), necessary for the creation of an AUTh e-mail account (this SMS will arrive after some days).
Next, you will have to visit the webpage https://register.auth.gr/account, in order to create a user account with the two received codes.
Check out at the Department of European Educational Programmes:
- Get a certificate from the School Library stating that you don’t owe any books (even if you have never visited the Library before)
- Sign the Certificate of Departure given by our Office (this document sometimes has the name ‘Duration of Studies’) - Please keep in mind that on the Certificate of Departure we have to state the date of your arrival and the date of your checking out from our office.
- Check for any pending Learning Agreements and/or Changes or any other document to be signed
- Submit a form (given by our Office) indicating the courses for which you are expecting grades, so that the Transcript of Records is issued properly. Don’t forget to provide the Secretariat of the School with a copy.
After your Departure
The Secretariat will send the Transcript of Records to our Office and we will send it to you by e-mail and to your University by post. Please make sure that the Erasmus Office has the correct address of the Erasmus/International office of your Home Institution.